Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Real Goblin Palace

This is a sketch of the goblin palace the girls are exploring in the filmed campaign--a working palace dungeon (with shades of "Greater Crazy Wizard" dungeon) . It's pretty closely based on an actual historical palace--in order to make sure the rooms have whatever chamber-to-chamber logic one might reasonably expect. Most of these things are in there somewhere. Rooms in the goblin palace generally appear where their analogues are in the real-life model--I believe, for instance, that the fungus room appears where a formal garden in the real palace is.

Gold star for you if you can guess what building I ripped off.

10 comments:

squidman said...

I spent more than a year studying archeology and memorizing plans of ancient palaces and temples, however I wouldn't guess this one even if my life depended on it. I guess it's better I changed to a different major.

Grylock said...

Isn't that the one on Minos, with the attendant labyrinth...?

Niklas said...

Only thing I can think of is The Temple in Jerusalem. But I am likely to be wrong.

Chris said...

The Forbidden City in Peking?

SirAllen said...

The Pentagon?

Menace 3 Society said...

It's definitely not Habsburg, Hermitage, or Buckingham, so I'm going to guess Versailles.

Topkapi would have been cool, though.

biopunk said...

Chris got it, me thinks...

Chris Lowrance said...

Ding Ding Ding

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2698268740_1ea117aa31_o.jpg

Point to Chris. It's interesting that you consider the East less dungeony but prefer their palaces over Western ones, Zak.

Chris Lowrance said...

(er, the other Chris. The one who is not me.)

Zak Sabbath said...

@Chris of Nagoh got it.

I was looking for something that was more sophisticated and less fortressy than the typical western castle--i wanted the goblins to be surprisingly civilized--in their own weird way.

I checked out Versailles and Buckingham palace, but the floorplans were less interesting--and no harems.